Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dogs and Travel


For those who enjoy having a dog as their pet but travel alot at the same time , does it make you feel bad leaving your pet behind? Wouldn't you like to travel with and be able to walk your pet in the mornings ? Well, I have news for you; Dog and cat owners who prefer not to fly can cross the Atlantic in style with their pets in tow on Cunard's Queen Mary 2. Animals are permitted transatlantic crossings only, not on the regular cruises around the Mediterranean or the Caribbean. They must have all the necessary paperwork. During the voyage, they are cared for by the housekeeping staff. They are not allowed in the cabins for hygiene purposes. The kennel is fully climate-controlled and a chart on the wall lists each animal's dietary preferences, while doggie lifejackets are stored in a special cupboard and the floor is scattered with chews and toys.
The kennel is a genuinely useful service but only dogs and cats are allowed - no parrots or pot-bellied pigs. My question is, would the animals get seasick like humans do? I imagine some of them do.

From what I understand, owners can visit or walk their dogs atleast two times a day, play with them and do whatever it is they like to do with their pets in a designated area. If I were a dog I would certainly enjoy that. Like humans, when dogs meet new dogs, they meet and greet in there own way. I remember cruising for three days not so long ago and toward the second day I began to feel so depressed for my dog sydney. Mind you, he was in good hands. When I returned from my trip, I was told he sat at the door the whole weekend with his head hung low. I know that that's a sign of despair and I never want to leave him again. Finding out that there is a cruiseline that accomodates my dog is unbelievable.
Those pets who do get left at home do not, however, have to miss out on the cruise experience. One of the onboard shops sells branded leads, collars, doggie overcoats in three sizes and china dog bowls.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, it's very important not to leave their animals alone home. When I was in my Bahamas Cruise thorough easy click travel, I left two of my Labradors. At my luck they stayed in good hands and were not too much angry when I came back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dog suffers from Separation anxiety. So having the opportunity of travelling with me is very exciting for him. He's also spoilt.lol

    ReplyDelete